Thread: An Interview with Jerome Bettis

Threads : 6
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default An Interview with Jerome Bettis

Everything about Jerome Bettis’ life as a football player reads like a Hollywood movie. Growing up in Detroit, Michigan Bettis was a sought after linebacker and running back at Mackenzie High School who ultimately played at the University of Notre Dame. After an outstanding college career, Bettis was the 10th overall selection in the 1993 NFL draft by the St Louis Rams where he found immediate success and was named the NFL rookie of the year, and made the Pro Bowl in each of his first two seasons.

After three years he was traded to the Pittsburgh Steelers and established himself as one of the most physically dominant running backs in the history of the league, earning the nickname “The Bus” for the way he carried multiple defenders on his back on seemingly every play.

In his career, Bettis was named to the Pro Bowl six times, and was the recipient of both the NFL Comeback Player of the Year (1996) and NFL Man of the Year (2001) while winning a Super Bowl in 2005. Currently Bettis is a commentator for the NFL Network and NBC’s Football Night in America.

What does the 5th leading rusher in the history of the NFL do with himself all day?
    “Just enjoying life. Body not sore, doing a lot of interviews, staying busy with ESPN and NBC.”

Did it take a little while to get used to not being sore?
    “No, not at all! It doesn’t take any time at all. And it beats watching game film.”

Explain the Monster.com NFL Director of Fandemonium contest that you’ve become the spokesperson for.
    “It’s a contest designed to find the most zealous football fan and give them a shot at getting the ultimate football job, which is to be the NFL Director of Fandemonium. The winner announces a pick at the 2010 draft, is backstage at the NFL kickoff concert, is on the field at the International Series Game, is on the field at Thanksgiving Day game, flips the coin at the Super Bowl and they get to select a play during the Pro Bowl. On top of that they get a $100,000 signing bonus. What could be better?

Do they get to meet Jerome Bettis? Do they get to try and tackle you?
    “No, not exactly, they don’t get to meet me. And if they did try to tackle ‘The Bus” I’d give them a stiff arm!”

Click to Read the Rest...

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: An Interview with Jerome Bettis

Great interview over there, steelerguy. Always sort of fun to see players asked questions that sometimes dont get asked by the media.

It's funny, one thing that really seemed top pop out to me was this..

How often do you have guys come up to you now that you’re retired and say, “You’re not that big Jerome.”
    “Very seldom. Most people still say, ‘Whoa man, you would’ve been tough to tackle.’”
    I saw Bettis and thought he was small compared to expectations. You watch these guys on tv and they look larger than what they are in person. Granted, Bettis still isn't a small guy and someone the size of Bettis running full speed at you and lowering the shoulder, wouldn't be fun to attempt to tackle but when I saw him he came off as smaller than I had though.

Rod woodson was another. I remember years ago in the early 90's seeing him walking around Ross Park Mall and I was shocked. I had to take 3 looks because the face looked 100% like Rod Woodson but the guy wasn't big at all. Your generally tallness but build, he looked scrawny. I found out it was Woodson but again, he looked bigger on tv.

It must be the padding. Throwing on some shoulder pads and stuff and players automatically get wider and look bigger

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I saw Bettis and thought he was small compared to expectations.
    Same here, when I met him at his "Grill 36"....
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bus===one more ride================CANTON BABY!
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Obligatory pictures:

Two future Hall-of-Famers
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information