Thread: The Steelers are the NFL's Heel

Threads : 122

Default The Steelers are the NFL's Heel

In professional wrestling, a heel (also known as a rudo in Lucha libre) is a villain character. In non-wrestling jargon, heels are the "bad guys" in professional wrestling storylines. They are typically opposed by a babyface or more simply, face (crowd favorite). Some tweeners (not explicitly regarded as good or bad) exhibit heel mannerisms. Heels are often portrayed as behaving in an immoral manner, breaking rules or otherwise taking advantage of their opponents outside the bounds of the rules of the match. Others do not (or rarely) break rules, but exhibit unlikeable personality traits . No matter the type of heel, the most important job is that of the antagonist role. Heels exist to provide a foil to the face wrestlers. If a given heel is cheered over the face, a promoter may opt to turn that heel to face, or to make the wrestler do something even more despicable to encourage heel heat.

I can't help but notice that in the world of the NFL, the Steelers either have become, or have been since the 70's, the Leagues heel. The fans all root against us and the announcers typically talk about something to cast the team or certain players in a negative light.

So far this week for the Superbowl I have seen on the NFL network:
    -Hines small interview and they bring up him being voted the leagues dirtiest player
    -Harrison being talked about with the 100k worth of fines and his statements regarding the league and its hypocracy.
    -Ovbiously Ben cast in a negative light, not only regarding his off the field issues, but also the talk that he isn't elite, Rodgers is better, etc.
    -Talk of how Ben only has 1.5 superbowl rings cause he played so bad in XL.
    -Amongst the fans of everyone else we always get the refs calls, take cheapshots and are dirty, the team of the 70's was a bunch of steroid freaks, and even if we win this 3rd title in 6 years, it doesn't make us a dynasty cause we never went back to back.

I have seen all of those things, some being talked about by supposed non biased former players on the NFL network.

The Packers have totally been made out as the 'babyfaces' in this matchup. The mamma's boys that you would be glad if they came and took your daughter out. Rodgers is apparently totally an elite QB cause he is 2-1 in the playoffs.

All I can say is the thoughts of being the NFL's heel actually kind of appeal to me.

**** all the naysayers, the Steelers are the **** and they are all just jealous!

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The Steelers are the NFL's Heel

... Everyone hates a winner....
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Steelers and those who hang with em' are...

Or for younger fans.

Last edited by Skeeter; Feb-05-2011 at 07:12 PM.

Threads : 18
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

During the AFC championship game did Phil Simms seem to lean towards favoring the Steelers or just not impressed with the Jets ?
    That seems to be the best he every acknowledged our Steelers as far as I remember.

Maybe he just doesn't like the Jets since he was a Giant and had to share the city ?

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BATMAN View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    During the AFC championship game did Phil Simms seem to lean towards favoring the Steelers or just not impressed with the Jets ?
    That seems to be the best he every acknowledged our Steelers as far as I remember.
    I didn't see the entire game, in fact, I only saw the majority of the 2nd half... But he did seem to favor the Steelers moreso... Now he comes out picking the Steelers to win the big game when most are not... Maybe he's a "closet fan".... LoL
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 49

Simms did pick the Steelers but he sure didn't seem enthusiastic about it like when he's talking about the Pats and he has Brady's balls in his mouth. It was more of a "well, I cover them...Ok I'll go with them, they're tough...sigh"

I think Simms is pretty bummed out about the Pats not making the SB this year. Poor Pats homer.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

they can call the Steelers heels, and talk down our QB's accomplishments, but they can't deny we're the best NFL franchise since 1970 and I look for this trend to continue. Screw what everyone else thinks.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information