Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's Next for Injury-Ravaged Penguins?

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default What's Next for Injury-Ravaged Penguins?

By Bill Meltzer
    February 6, 2011
    Following the news that Evgeni Malkin will miss the rest of the 2010-11 season and playoffs with a torn ACL and MCL, the question that's on everyone mind is where do the Pittsburgh Penguins go from here? Obviously, general manager Ray Shero and coach Dan Bylsma's club aren't going to simply throw in the towel, but the loss of Malkin and the continuing absence of Sidney Crosby turns the Pens from a legitimate Stanley Cup contender into just another middling team in the Eastern Conference. Put a healthy Crosby back in the mix and the picture brightens immensely.
    The Penguins are currently maxed out on the NHL salary cap. Yes, they can use the long-term injured reserve allowance to replace Malkin on the roster for the rest of the season but this is never a good situation financially for a club.
    It is a misnomer to say that placing a player on injured reserve "frees up" cap space. It does not. Rather, it allows a team to go over the salary cap by up to a certain amount with that amount subsequently being deducted from future cap/bonus cushion considerations. It's intended as a short-term, emergency means for a cap-strapped team to cope with a serious injury on the roster. Think of it as a salary-cap "loan" rather than "free" cap space and you'll have a more accurate picture of the implications.
    The Penguins' situation most certainly qualifies as an emergency. According to capgeek.com, the Penguins currently have the ability to take on up to a maximum $2.76 million (a full-season $8.16 million) if they use their LTIR allowance to replace Malkin. Remember that the closer the Pens come to using the full allowance, the more disadvantageous the longer-term financial implications are for Pittsburgh.
    Nevertheless, there are already all sorts of big-name, big-ticket players being linked in rumors as potential acquisitions to substitute for Malkin. I can almost guarantee that you will hear Brad Richards' name floated, for instance, although I doubt that the Pacific Division-leading Stars (recent losing skid and ownership question marks aside) are going to trade their impending unrestricted free agent All-Star center. Assuming that Crosby makes a full recovery -- and that's a big assumption at this point -- the Penguins still have a formidable one-two punch in the middle with their captain and a (finally) healthy Jordan Staal.
    Depending on Crosby's health, the creative Shero need not exceed the salary cap by anything approaching the maximum allowance. I would say that it's more likely that the Penguins make a push to acquire a useful player along the lines of Pittsburgh native R.J. Umberger ($3.75 million, under contract through end of 2011-12) or aging impeding UFA Jason Arnott ($4.5 million) rather than an All-Star caliber player. Keep in mind, however, that other teams' general managers know they've got Shero over a barrel and the return they demand in trade is going to be inflated.
    Meanwhile, there is more hand wringing than ever in Pittsburgh that Crosby will make a speedy recovery from the concussion that has sidelined him for the last 13 games. The Penguins superstar has begun light workouts but there is still no timetable for his return. The number one priority is -- and should be -- making sure that he is symptom-free and the risk of another concussion shortly after his return is minimized. Crosby recently said that he is not having headaches but is experiencing neck pain.
    The Penguins struggled mightily for the first few games after Crosby went down but then the resilent team has hit its stride again with Staal (who, in his own right, was greatly missed during his lengthy absence) and others stepping up. The team has won five in a row and eight of its last 10. Nevertheless, the odds of coming out of the East in the playoffs without Malkin or a fully healthy Crosby are slim.

http://www.versus.com/blogs/the-dail...aged-penguins/

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What's Next for Injury-Ravaged Penguins?

Time for Staal to step up... but to watch that Sabres player blow on by him like a parked car the other night gives me reason for concern.

Rather than dig too deep into future cap space... I really think it's time to take the training wheels off of Tangradi. Time to learn how to fly son!!! If it doesn't work out for the Penguins this year, that experience will help next season for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Time for Staal to step up... but to watch that Sabres player blow on by him like a parked car the other night gives me reason for concern.

Rather than dig too deep into future cap space... I really think it's time to take the training wheels off of Tangradi. Time to learn how to fly son!!! If it doesn't work out for the Penguins this year, that experience will help next season for sure!
    Agreed on Tangradi. I think he is a future star.

Threads : 1

I think they better start planning for now Sid for quite awhile. He starts skating, and instead of joining the team, he goes to stay with Mom and Dad?

I think his head is all screwed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelghost View Post
    I think they better start planning for now Sid for quite awhile. He starts skating, and instead of joining the team, he goes to stay with Mom and Dad?

Yeah that's what a concussion will do to you and they let him play with that for a while and eventually re-injure. It's a serious thing. While injured he was basically a couch potato. He needs to go practice with the dryer a little bit. They would be stupid to force him into the lineup. They already screwed up enough. They may have ****ed up Genos season too. The medical staff is not doing well this year.

Threads : 47
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Where we go from here is a big question. I don't know what we can do until Sid's situation is known. I saw a report that Sid is out until at least March and has not been ruled out for missing the season. I can't see us making any moves until it is known for sure if Sid can come back and play. The thing is that the trade deadline is feb 28th. If Sid is still on the shelf, I can't see us making any major moves specifically for this season. If Sid is back then we need a forward, maybe a center now as opposed to winger with Geno out. With Sid back we really only have Sid and Staal for 1 and 2. After that we have 2 rookies with Talbot and Adams as centers. I have not heard the status of Comrie in a while, but I get the feeling he isn't close to coming back and he is not a 3rd or 4th line type player anyway. **** is seriously ****ed up for the rest of the season as to whether the Pens or contenders or not.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Steelghost View Post

They are keeping something from us cuz this is no mild concussion. Month absence and almost 15 games isnt a mild concussion. This is pretty serious.

I like the idea of a guy like umberger. Injuries or not hes a nice winger we dont have And need who is an under $4 mill guy
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PSmitty View Post
    Where we go from here is a big question. I don't know what we can do until Sid's situation is known. I saw a report that Sid is out until at least March and has not been ruled out for missing the season. I can't see us making any moves until it is known for sure if Sid can come back and play. The thing is that the trade deadline is feb 28th. If Sid is still on the shelf, I can't see us making any major moves specifically for this season. If Sid is back then we need a forward, maybe a center now as opposed to winger with Geno out. With Sid back we really only have Sid and Staal for 1 and 2. After that we have 2 rookies with Talbot and Adams as centers. I have not heard the status of Comrie in a while, but I get the feeling he isn't close to coming back and he is not a 3rd or 4th line type player anyway. **** is seriously ****ed up for the rest of the season as to whether the Pens or contenders or not.
    You go winger. Staal was prepped to play center om the 2n line this yeAr and if that failed malkin goes back to center. One way or another we have a center for the top 2 lines and we are always in need of wingers.

If sid doesnt come back then i agree that shero should do nothing. Nothing he could do would make a difference wihout sid and or geno
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    You go winger. Staal was prepped to play center om the 2n line this yeAr and if that failed malkin goes back to center. One way or another we have a center for the top 2 lines and we are always in need of wingers.

If sid doesnt come back then i agree that shero should do nothing. Nothing he could do would make a difference wihout sid and or geno
    Yeah I hadn't really thought about that yet. If Sid doesn't come back at all them I think we can forget about it.

No way the Pens trade now for a rental player. Other teams know we are looking and will take advantage of that. Best to wait until the trade deadline for that... since there should be more "identified" sellers!!! But a true "Long-term... Good for Both teams" trade is possible anytime, I suppose.

Threads : 47
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

At this point, I just want a forward who can score. Odds are we will be playing that person on an opposite line from Sid anyway in order to spread our scoring around a bit.

Threads : 8

They are keeping something from us cuz this is no mild concussion. Month absence and almost 15 games isnt a mild concussion. This is pretty serious.

I like the idea of a guy like umberger. Injuries or not hes a nice winger we dont have And need who is an under $4 mill guy
    I was in Columbus this weekend visiting family. We went to the Jackets game Saturday night. Next to Nash, Umberger is the most popular player on the team. He also went to Ohio State. With the problems CBJ has drawing fans, I would be surprised if Umberger is available.

Quote Originally Posted by CPA17 View Post
    I was in Columbus this weekend visiting family. We went to the Jackets game Saturday night. Next to Nash, Umberger is the most popular player on the team. He also went to Ohio State. With the problems CBJ has drawing fans, I would be surprised if Umberger is available.
    I could see that. Pens ****ed up not getting him when they had the chance. He is a Pens type player. I bet he plays for Pittsburgh eventually. Might not be till he is old tho.

Threads : 85

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    Yeah that's what a concussion will do to you and they let him play with that for a while and eventually re-injure. It's a serious thing. While injured he was basically a couch potato. He needs to go practice with the dryer a little bit. They would be stupid to force him into the lineup. They already screwed up enough. They may have ****ed up Genos season too. The medical staff is not doing well this year.
    i defense of the medical staff, Genos current injury is on the opposite knee that was giving him trouble initially. Fluke accident, sucks but it happens. Crosby could very well have hid the symptoms after the Classic thinking it would go away.

Also with Sid, i cant get Marc Savard out of my head, with his serious bout with post concussion depression. Whatever is still ailing Sid I hope that he is getting all the help and support he can handle, from friends, family, and the entire Penguins organization. I wish him well.

5 trades in the last 2 days... the latest was Mike Fisher to Nashville. Big suprise... since wifey Carrie Underwood is based in Nashville.

TSN called it "a Sens fire sale" .... so if that's the case, does anyone want to see Alexei Kovalev in a Penguins uniform again?

Can we afford Dustin Penner?
    Last edited by (419)BlackNGold; Feb-10-2011 at 03:43 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information