Thread: Rodgers most 'marketable;' Roethlisberger a 'pariah'

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Rodgers most 'marketable;' Roethlisberger a 'pariah'

Feb 06, 2011
    Aaron Rodgers most 'marketable;' Ben Roethlisberger a 'pariah'
    By Michael McCarthy
    USA TODAY

When the gun sounds on the close of Super Bowl XLV, the new game begins. Namely, which players can earn the most endorsement bucks on Madison Avenue. NFL players don't earn as much commercial dollars as golfers such as Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson or NBA stars such as Michael Jordan. So a clutch performance at the Super Bowl can help.

Out of all the players, quarterback Aaron Rodgers is the most 'marketable' if he leads the Green Bay Packers to victory, says Bob Dorfman of Baker Street Advertising who rates the endorsement potential of pro athletes.

Rodgers can earn an additional $3 million a year if he earns a ring tonight, says Dorfman in his annual Super Bowl marketing preview.

"With Tom Brady and Peyton Manning on the downside of their careers, and Ben Roethlisberger a marketing pariah, advertisers looking for the next big product-pitching QB could score with Mr. Rodgers. He's got Jake Gyllenhal looks, speaks well, is scandal free, an eligible bachelor (dating Gossip Girl star Jessica Szohr a wise career move), and is on the upside of his career on a team with a bright postseason future."

If Rodgers wins game MVP, look for him on the cover of Wheaties boxes and Gap ads. Rodgers could even, gasp, replace Brett Favre, as pitchman for Wrangler, Dorfman says.

What about his opposite number? Unfortunately, Roethlisberger's image has still not recovered from his scandals, says Dorfman.

"The general public (including many Steelers fans) are still disgusted with Roethlisberger's sleazy past behavior, and will never adore him as before. But as Kobe Bryant and Michael Vick have shown, marketing redemption can be achieved," according to Dorfman. "It'll take some time, but if Ben continues to succeed on the gridiron and behave like a gentleman off, someone will hire him."

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...per-bowl-xlv/1
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo

Default Re: Rodgers most 'marketable;' Roethlisberger a 'pariah'

I cannot understand why everyone was so quick to forgive Vick and is so reluctant to forgive Ben. At least Ben didn't brutally kill anything. I've been hearing this trash all year 'cause I live so close to Filthydelphia. Tired of these morons.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Blackandgold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I cannot understand why everyone was so quick to forgive Vick and is so reluctant to forgive Ben. At least Ben didn't brutally kill anything. I've been hearing this trash all year 'cause I live so close to Filthydelphia. Tired of these morons.
    Completely agree. Maybe it's because it's a female backlash type of deal. People are going to feel more sympathetic as a whole over a woman than a dog.

But... my problem is that Vick was charged, Ben was accused and not charged. One was found guilty another one wasn't and hasn't

Personally, if there's a lockout and it looks strong, I don't think anyone from the SB is going to become much as far as marketing. The marketing of players and the sport during a lockout is going to be at an all time low.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Sports Logo

Maybe you're right. Maybe it is a woman thing. That would make sense.

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

With a last name like Roethlisberger... he was never going to get a lot of endorcements! Add to that his linebacker's approach to the QB position and he's gonna be lucky to get anything Madison Avenue. But he's gonna be gold endorsing pick-up trucks, power tools, snow tires, Carhartt gear, etc.

Threads : 9

NFL players don't earn as much commercial dollars as golfers such as Tiger Woods..
    Not that Tiger is earning a whole lot right now.
    .. Ben Roethlisberger a marketing pariah..
    How much more is Vick earning in national commercial endorsements than Ben? I don't think national advertisers want either of them endorsing their products.
    "The brotherhood that the Steelers have, their way of doing business, their way of playing football, spans decades. Their way of building teams that do not blink and players that do not shrink, well, there is nothing come-lately about it."

Threads : 440

Ron Cook: Big Ben will repay his biggest debt

Teammates stood behind quarterback during his trying year

Sunday, February 06, 2011
    By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Peter Diana/Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger takes time to shoot video of the media gathered before player interviews Tuesday.

ARLINGTON, Texas -- The other Steelers had Ben Roethlisberger's back as long ago as that disgusting March night in Milledgeville, Ga., despite assertions to the contrary that you might have heard this week from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. They had his back when Dennis Dixon and mostly Charlie Batch led the team to a 3-1 start during his four-game NFL suspension. They had his back here, deep in the heart of Texas, all week during the hysterical run-up to Super Bowl XLV.

Tonight, Roethlisberger will return the favor. Tonight, he will say thank you to his teammates in the best possible way. Tonight, he will lead the Steelers past the Green Bay Packers for their third Super Bowl title in the past six seasons and their record seventh in franchise history.

I write that even though a big part of me thinks the Packers are going to win. They are 2 1/2-point favorites for a reason -- they are very, very good. Their powerful front seven could cause fits for the Steelers offensive line, which will play without Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey. Their franchise quarterback, Aaron Rodgers, and his cast of thousands at wide receiver could do the same to the Steelers secondary, much as Tom Brady and his New England bunch did earlier in the season.

But now that it's time to pick the game, I can't pull the trigger and go with the Packers. I can't pick against Roethlisberger. There's just no way. I fully expect him to find a way to win the game for the Steelers.

It's funny, I had to laugh the other day when Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace called Roethlisberger "one of the best clutch quarterbacks probably to ever play the game." Wallace is 24, hardly old enough to remember Johnny Unitas and Joe Montana and maybe even John Elway. But I'm more than old enough to know those players' greatness. Roethlisberger is right there with them, at least he will be if he leads the Steelers to that third title. I believe he's Hall of Fame-worthy right now, but he'll be an absolute lock if he gets that third ring, a number reached only by Montana and Terry Bradshaw, who have four, and Brady and Troy Aikman, who have three.

Roethlisberger already has led an Elwayesque-drive in a Super Bowl. Two years ago, in Super Bowl XLIII, he took the Steelers 78 yards in the final two minutes for the winning touchdown to beat the Arizona Cardinals, 27-23. His 6-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Santonio Holmes is one of the fabulous plays in the Steelers' long, storied history.

Roethlisberger is 10-2 as a postseason starter after victories in these playoffs against the Baltimore Ravens and New York Jets. He wasn't even close to being spectacular against the Jets -- his 35.5 passer rating is pretty good proof -- but he made two throws in the final three minutes that the Steelers had to have to win.

That's what Roethlisberger does.

He wins football games.

Don't be fooled by the front that Roethlisberger puts up for the media. Before the game against the Jets, he talked about their great defense beating Brady and the Patriots and Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts. "I don't know what I'm supposed to do against them." Here, when told that national surveys showed that more people would pick Rodgers to be their quarterback than him, he grinned and said, "I'd take Aaron, too."

That's nonsense, of course.

Roethlisberger hardly lacks confidence.

Especially late in games when everything is on the line.

"I don't know what it is," he said. "I think it's probably the competitiveness, the drive to want to do whatever it takes to win the game. I want it to be on my shoulders. I don't do it for the glory. I don't want to be a hero. I just want to win the game."

Or, as Steelers offensive line coach Sean Kugler put it so eloquently, "Competitiveness, desire, that unbelievable will to win, you name it, this guy has it."

The other Steelers see it. They appreciate it. Mostly, they love that Roethlisberger wins games, puts money in their pockets and rings on their fingers.

That's why it wasn't surprising when all of the Steelers rushed to support Roethlisberger last week after Goodell was quoted by Sports Illustrated that "not a single player" came to Roethlisberger's defense after he was accused of sexual assault in Milledgeville. I know Roethlisberger wasn't the most popular player in the locker room at the time, but I don't believe Goodell for one second in this instance. Nor does Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel, who is among Roethlisberger's closest friends.

"All of us care about him," Keisel said. "We are his brothers."

Roethlisberger anticipated the questions about his personal life during Super Bowl week. But he was blind-sided by Goodell's assertion, which was deplorable considering the timing of the story. Clearly, he appreciated the united show of support from everyone from coach Mike Tomlin to offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, who said, "I couldn't ask for a better person for [my kids] to hang out with," from Keisel to running back Rashard Mendenhall, who said, "Ben is a great teammate and a great leader."

Said Roethlisberger, "I'm just lucky to be on this team with these guys."

Roethlisberger said he wants to win tonight for Steelers offensive tackle Flozell Adams, who spent the first 12 years of his NFL career with the Dallas Cowboys and was a part of just one wild-card round playoff win before joining the Steelers in the summer. But that's only a part of Roethlisberger's motivation. He wants to win for all his guys. He is determined to have their backs in the biggest game after they had his for so long.

I can't pick against that.

Steelers 24, Packers 17.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11037...#ixzz1DD7MKuIS

Threads : 188

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler Shades View Post
    Not that Tiger is earning a whole lot right now.
    Actually, he is....even though his income dropped a cool $48 mil from 2009, he still earned $74.2 mil in 2010.......must be cuttin' coupons and eatin' out less......or something....
    "When you start talking about attitude and focus, Jack is the epitome. He was the most focused individual I've ever had."-- Chuck Noll

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Everyone latches on to a Champion. If Ben wins #3, he will get his deals.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Quote Originally Posted by Hambert5958 View Post
    Actually, he is....even though his income dropped a cool $48 mil from 2009, he still earned $74.2 mil in 2010.......must be cuttin' coupons and eatin' out less......or something....
    WoW!! $74.2 mil? And to think I was feeling bad for him.
    "The brotherhood that the Steelers have, their way of doing business, their way of playing football, spans decades. Their way of building teams that do not blink and players that do not shrink, well, there is nothing come-lately about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    If Ben wins #3, he will get his deals.
    Not this year...unless you are referring to local Pittsburgh car dealers.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd like to ask anyone who believes Ben is a rapist one simple question: What was he charged with, again?

I guess the Court of Public Opinion is the only one that really matters anymore, even if a court of LAW didn't have enough evidence to convict Ben.

Some people in this country probably need a dose of the medicine that they are so eager to shove down Ben's throat. It will teach them that unjust accusations are what they are and really have no place in a lawful society.

At some point, I believe Ben will get his due.
    buckeyehoppy 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Pick-em' Contest Champion and 2013 Finalist!

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyehoppy View Post
    At some point, I believe Ben will get his due.
    Sticking with the theme of this thread....his due will not be any national endorsements.

Threads : 164

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler Shades View Post
    WoW!! $74.2 mil? And to think I was feeling bad for him.
    That even after buying "all his *****es" shots! Sorry couldn't resist!

Hopefully he learned a lesson and it helps him become a better person off the field.
    Last edited by bdeff; Feb-07-2011 at 07:11 AM.
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Threads : 24

Quote Originally Posted by Blackandgold View Post
    At the Super Bowl party I attended everyone was calling him "The Rapist." Even people rooting for the Steelers were on his case. I was surprised at the depth of hate for him. People believe that Vick served his time, but people think Ben got away with something that was really, really bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information