Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ben needs to be coached better

Threads : 49

Default Ben needs to be coached better

Or maybe more correctly, he needs to actually be coached. When one, two or all three of the following occurs on most passing plays-

- Holding onto the ball, waiting until play breaks down, making a play (or not).
    - Pump faking over and over again.
    - Looking downfield repeatedly.

- It tells me the coaches aren't doing their job. Yes, it's true that this sort of play is what makes Ben great but it also results in stalled drives and limits his potential and effectiveness as a QB. Relying on raw talent can only take you so far and yes it's taken Ben amazingly far but last night we saw what happens when that's all there is. Maybe Ben is hard to coach, I dunno. But for him to continue to evolve and grow as a QB he needs better coaching, IMO.

Threads : 16
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Ben needs to be coached better

Im not going to go crazy blaming coaches. Bens best days are still ahead of him. He gets a little more polished with every given year. My only hope is that the way he played yesterday drives him to improve, and to get back to this point next year and make it right. This was a bad performance. Maybe not as bad as XL. Bad still pretty bad. He threw high, he threw low, he forced into coverage. I dont think coaching had much to do with this performance. Ben just played bad. Maybe the media actually got in his head a little bit.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by JerryGlanville View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Or maybe more correctly, he needs to actually be coached. When one, two or all three of the following occurs on most passing plays-

- Holding onto the ball, waiting until play breaks down, making a play (or not).

- It tells me the coaches aren't doing their job. Yes, it's true that this sort of play is what makes Ben great but it also results in stalled drives and limits his potential and effectiveness as a QB. Relying on raw talent can only take you so far and yes it's taken Ben amazingly far but last night we saw what happens when that's all there is. Maybe Ben is hard to coach, I dunno. But for him to continue to evolve and grow as a QB he needs better coaching, IMO.
    That's Ben's style. He's been like that since he was a rookie, he was like that in college and it's been good enough to reach 3 Superbowls since 2004.

Ben needs to play better in Superbowls - Yes. Coached better? Anybody could be better. Tom Brady could be better. What Superbowl has he on since 2004 and he just got a league MVP.

Ben didn't throw 2 picks because of coaching
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 91

Holding on to the ball could be the result of a poor offensive scheme, but it's still what makes him who he is.
    Pump faking and always looking downfield are a couple of things that make Ben better than any other QB in football.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The first interception was a result of a breakdown in protection where it looked like he was hit during his follow through on the throw and couldn't get enough on it. Was it from holding it too long? Either way, it was a valiant effort to come back to the point to have an opportunity to win it on the last drive.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Holding on to the ball could be the result of a poor offensive scheme, but it's still what makes him who he is.
    [HIGH-LIGHT]Pump faking and always looking downfield are a couple of things that make Ben better than any other QB in football.[/HIGH-LIGHT]
    Maybe some of the time, but after this recent playoff run I can't say Ben is better than any other QB in football right now. I love Ben as a player and QB but he's not the best right now. And part of that is the offensive scheme, IMO, but that's sort of my point. When you repeatedly ask one player to bail out the offense and put it singularly on his shoulders, eventually it's going to bite you in the *** which is what happened last night.

Threads : 122

The only thing Ben needs to work on is his progressions. He stares down too many WR's and passes up the open man far too often. Last night he stared down Wallace and threw into double or triple coverage to him when Heath pulled a Santonio and was waving his hand as he ran down the sideline wide open.

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

peyton manning threw a pick to lose last year does he need to be better coached?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    The only thing Ben needs to work on is his progressions. He stares down too many WR's and passes up the open man far too often. Last night he stared down Wallace and threw into double or triple coverage to him when Heath pulled a Santonio and was waving his hand as he ran down the sideline wide open.
    Which pretty much ties in to what I posted (holding onto the ball, looking downfield repeatedely, etc.).

It's also a little ridiculous that Ben still can't hit Wallace more than half the time downfield. Do these guys actually practice during the week? Ben needs to workout with the WR's a lot more and needs a coach to light a fire under his *** about some of the fundamentals.

Yeah, Ben's sandlot style is great when it works but that's not any reason to not continue to work on the fundamentals, reads, getting rid of the ball faster at times. Arians is not the guy for that.

doubled up.

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

Which pretty much ties in to what I posted (holding onto the ball, looking downfield repeatedely, etc.).

It's also a little ridiculous that Ben still can't hit Wallace more than half the time downfield. Do these guys actually practice during the week? Ben needs to workout with the WR's a lot more and needs a coach to light a fire under his *** about some of the fundamentals.

Yeah, Ben's sandlot style is great when it works but that's not any reason to not continue to work on the fundamentals, reads, getting rid of the ball faster at times. Arians is not the guy for that.
    There is NO QB i repeat NO QB that doesn't miss reads, throw picks, have so so games etc. BEN is a winner and thats that but he cant win em all bud! plain and god**** simple!

Threads : 407

[HIGH-LIGHT]- Holding onto the ball, waiting until play breaks down, making a play (or not).
    - Looking downfield repeatedly[/HIGH-LIGHT].

I thought that a QB coaches job was to teach the things highlighted??? That is what they teach them to do more once out of college.

In my opinion..once a tenured QB has had success in the league...QB coaches aren't there to teach them technique anymore...moreso to assist in film study....defensive tendencies....etc... How many great QB's end up being QB coaches??? How many not so great QB's end up being QB coaches??? How many QB coaches were never even QB's in the league???

To teach Ben anything new or different now about his style is foregone...but to prep him to play certain ways against defenses....I think that is what QB coaches do...they are extra eyes,,,future QB coach... Charlie Batch.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedBnG58 View Post
    I thought that a QB coaches job was to teach the things highlighted??? That is what they teach them to do more once out of college.

In my opinion..once a tenured QB has had success in the league...QB coaches aren't there to teach them technique anymore...moreso to assist in film study....defensive tendencies....etc... How many great QB's end up being QB coaches??? How many not so great QB's end up being QB coaches??? How many QB coaches were never even QB's in the league???

[HIGH-LIGHT]To teach Ben anything new or different now about his style is foregone[/HIGH-LIGHT]...but to prep him to play certain ways against defenses....I think that is what QB coaches do...they are extra eyes,,,future QB coach... Charlie Batch.
    Players, including QB's are always working on their technique. It's not like once you get to the SB, you stop. I mean look at Brady, for example, he was known has a short yardage passer early on in his career, but in the past few years he's become an accurate deep passer.

Ben was working out with that guy from California when he was suspended, I don't think they were studying game film of opposing teams on the schedule. I mean they could've I guess, but it was mostly working on footwork, passing, technique, etc.

Ben can definitely get better technique-wise with better coaching, to think otherwise is a little crazy. He needs a new OC that isn't necessarily OK with Ben looking deep on every pass play and holding the ball for so long all the time. The Steelers and Ben are capable of quick short passes, they are just hardly ever called, etc.

Threads : 407

Players,[HIGH-LIGHT] including QB's are always working on their technique[/HIGH-LIGHT]. It's not like once you get to the SB, you stop. I mean look at Brady, for example, he was known has a short yardage passer early on in his career, but in the past few years he's become an accurate deep passer. work on timing with receivers yes...changing actual technique...no...the Mannings and Brady..and Brees....do the same thing year after year...your technique is already deveolped..if not...you wouldn't be here...they egt that stuff right their 1st or 2nd year..or they are gone...or a backup....like Sims.

Ben was working out with that guy from California when he was suspended, I don't think they were studying game film of opposing teams on the schedule. I mean they could've I guess, but it was mostly working on footwork, passing, technique, etc. Working on existing(training)??? yes...changing??? I doubt it

Ben can definitely get better technique-wise with better coaching, to think otherwise is a little crazy. He needs a [HIGH-LIGHT]new OC [/HIGH-LIGHT]I agreethat isn't necessarily OK with [HIGH-LIGHT]Ben looking deep [/HIGH-LIGHT]gotta look where the OC designed the WR patternson every pass play and [HIGH-LIGHT]holding the ball for so long [/HIGH-LIGHT]due to patterns..see previous statementall the time. The Steelers and Ben are capable of [HIGH-LIGHT]quick short passes[/HIGH-LIGHT], they are just hardly ever called, etc.Ben to draw up the plays...blame BA...
    every OC thinks there scheme is the best and it will work...regardless of what history tells them.

I never said anything about "changing" technique. Reducing the pump fake, for example, on every pass play wouldn't be changing technique.

That pump fake actually cost the Steelers 7 points last night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information