Thread: Buccos Sign A 17 Year Dominican

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Buccos Sign A 17 Year Dominican

Pirates sign righty Rodriguez from DPL
    Club reportedly inks 17-year-old to $80,000 deal
    By Anthony Castrovince / MLB.com | 02/08/11 7:19 PM EST

The Pirates have reportedly signed right-hander Leandro Rodriguez out of the Dominican Prospect League, according to the DPL website.

The site describes the 17-year-old Rodriguez as having a "loose" arm and said the Pirates signed him for $80,000. The club has not announced the signing.

Scouring the DPL for talent is nothing new to the Bucs. Last year, they signed Willy Garcia, Jonathan Herrand, Isaac Sanchez and Miguel De Aza out of the league, spending a combined $795,000 in signing bonuses.

Anthony Castrovince is a reporter for MLB.com. Read his columns and his blog, CastroTurf, and follow him on Twitter at @Castrovince. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_pit&c_id=pit
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 197

Default Re: Buccos Sign A 17 Year Dominican

Baseball America mentions that the Pirates also signed a 20 year old Cuban pitcher Cesar Lopez back in September, but have to wait for him to get his visa. They apparently are set to give him a $600,000 bonus. The only international players the Pirates have given a bigger bonus to are Luis Heredia and Yoslan Herrera. Herrera was much older and had experience with the Cuban national team, though.

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Baseball America mentions that the Pirates also signed a 20 year old Cuban pitcher Cesar Lopez back in September, but have to wait for him to get his visa. They apparently are set to give him a $600,000 bonus. The only international players the Pirates have given a bigger bonus to are Luis Heredia and Yoslan Herrera. Herrera was much older and had experience with the Cuban national team, though.
    How the heck does this fly under the radar? Anything and I mean ANYTHING that deals with $$$$$ and the Pirates is always reported. It's usually the only things you can ever find news on . I'm really surprised that this wasn't really brought forward more. That's anice size bonus.

What's the word on Cesar Lopez?

There isn't much about him anywhere. The BA report says he's a sinker/slider guy who throws 90-92 with his FB. He was playing for Industriales, which is basically the Yankees of Cuba, but obviously he's left the team. That's all anyone seems to know. I can't even find a height and weight listed anywhere.

The lack of reporting may just be that it's hard to keep track of anything with Latin American players. The teams never report anything until it's official, and in cases like this it can take months. A lot of Cuban players have trouble getting visas because of how unreliable record keeping is in Cuba. US-Cuba relations certainly don't help things either. The player has to go through a pretty long process of establishing residency elsewhere before he's even eligible to sign. Aroldis Chapman was able to go through things relatively quickly because he already had a passport (which is pretty much unheard of), but it still took months before he was allowed to sign. Lopez has already gone through the part of establishing residency and becoming eligible, but getting a visa would likely still be a requirement for the deal to go through.

The lack of reporting may just be that it's hard to keep track of anything with Latin American players. The teams never report anything until it's official, and in cases like this it can take months. A lot of Cuban players have trouble getting visas because of how unreliable record keeping is in Cuba. US-Cuba relations certainly don't help things either. The player has to go through a pretty long process of establishing residency elsewhere before he's even eligible to sign. Aroldis Chapman was able to go through things relatively quickly because he already had a passport (which is pretty much unheard of), but it still took months before he was allowed to sign. Lopez has already gone through the part of establishing residency and becoming eligible, but getting a visa would likely still be a requirement for the deal to go through.
    Yeah that's weird. I mean even without a visa, I'm surprised this news was held back for this long. They can keep this secret but not the details of how they were planning on handling Matt Capps

what's the length of time do you think that it takes for them to obtain a visa and come here?

Threads : 94

If the Pirates can get Lopez's visa problems straightened out he should be in minor league camp next month....Rodriguez should/will spend at least another year in the Dominican.

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    If the Pirates can get Lopez's visa problems straightened out he should be in minor league camp next month....Rodriguez should/will spend at least another year in the Dominican.
    Do you know or have you heard anything more about Lopez that the very small amount that's been released? For that kind of dough, I would assume he's pretty decent but outside of knowing what kind of pitches he throws, there's not much else on him

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sanchez perked up a little reading the title Sry

The Pirates officially announced the Lopez signing today. He's listed at 6'3", and it says above average sinker and a fastball that can hit 94.

The Pirates officially announced the Lopez signing today. He's listed at 6'3", and it says above average sinker and a fastball that can hit 94.
    6'3" 17 year old with 94 MPH heat. Pretty bad ***.

If he were Venezuelean I'd question his age at that height

Where do you think he'll report? Dominican league and then next year coming into the system or wherever Heredia goes?

Threads : 158

Threads : 36

If he's 20 I hope he starts out at State College or at the worst GCL. I would think he has the stuff to get to WV this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Lup View Post
    If he's 20 I hope he starts out at State College or at the worst GCL. I would think he has the stuff to get to WV this year.
    I forgot he was 20. Defintely a start at State College at least, at that age

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Interesting...
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information