Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ray Horton Is Gone. Steelers Offseason Already Off to A Good Start

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Ray Horton Is Gone. Steelers Offseason Already Off to A Good Start

Reports: Cards choose Horton to run defense
    Feb. 8, 2011 - 4:50 PM ET

The Arizona Republic's Kent Somers confirms Steelers DBs coach Ray Horton will sign on as the Cardinals' next defensive coordinator Wednesday.

It turns out Mike Jurecki of XTRA 910 in Phoenix was right all along. Since coach Ken Whisenhunt knows Horton from their time together in Pittsburgh, the Wednesday interview will be formality. Horton is expected to bring Dick LeBeau's system to Arizona, so the defense will remain a 3-4 alignment. Aging pass rusher Joey Porter obviously knows the scheme well, and O'Brien Schofield could emerge on the opposite side.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/414800...s-player_news/

---------------
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Default Re: Ray Horton Is Gone. Steelers Offseason Already Off to A Good Start

Hopefully we bring in someone that knows how to teach DBs to cover wide receivers

Threads : 122

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Hopefully we bring in someone that knows how to teach DBs to cover wide receivers
    You mean coaching players up on how to sound tough in interviews then play soft as hell in games isn't the point of a secondary coach?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    You mean coaching players up on how to sound tough in interviews then play soft as hell in games isn't the point of a secondary coach?
    I would hope not

Sound tough and play tough, I can drink to that

Threads : 8
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

How long was Horton with us? Since I'm not a football expert, just an expert in drinking and yelling at the TV, why did Dallas, the Raiders, and the Cardinals want this guy. For me this guy sucked *** and couldn't produce talent like our WRs coach Montgomery. Anyway I'm glad he's gone, Tomlin has done ok in bringing in the ST coordinator and the WRs coach. I personally would like to see Dick L. as a consultant to our new coordinator Butler. Time will tell.

Threads : 413

Guess I should have posted this here instead of another thread, so I'll repeat it.

Not trying to stir things up, but what is (was) the issue with Horton? I really don't know whether he was good or bad, but I think it's a little over the top to simply judge the secondary's performance on him. 2 reasons.

1st, he is only as good as the personal he's dealt. How much influence does he have, as a second level coach, to determine that B-mac should be brought back, Gay should be on the roster at all, Lewis, Mundy and the rest of 2nd teamers make the squad?

2nd, I doubt if its his decision to establish the schemes. More likely, that is DL's and MT's decision. His role is to implement.

Just sayin'.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 91

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Reports: Cards choose Horton to run defense
    Feb. 8, 2011 - 4:50 PM ET

The Arizona Republic's Kent Somers confirms Steelers DBs coach Ray Horton will sign on as the Cardinals' next defensive coordinator Wednesday.

It turns out Mike Jurecki of XTRA 910 in Phoenix was right all along. Since coach Ken Whisenhunt knows Horton from their time together in Pittsburgh, the Wednesday interview will be formality. [HIGH-LIGHT]Horton is expected to bring Dick LeBeau's system to Arizona, [/HIGH-LIGHT]so the defense will remain a 3-4 alignment. Aging pass rusher Joey Porter obviously knows the scheme well, and O'Brien Schofield could emerge on the opposite side.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/414800...s-player_news/

---------------
    I find this part comical.....as if it's something you can pack in the suitcase as you head out the door! If he succeeds in taking DL's defense to the Cardinals that will make a grand total of one defense in the NFC who plays physical, tough, run defense.

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I find this part comical.....as if it's something you can pack in the suitcase as you head out the door! If he succeeds in taking DL's defense to the Cardinals that will make a grand total of one defense in the NFC who plays physical, tough, run defense.
    You took the words right out of my mouth ! The disrespect continues with this team.

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sorry if it's covered but I heard Deshae Townsend is going to be an assistant.

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Precious confirmation.

http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-...a-83df2d1938be

Coach Ken Whisenhunt ended up hiring a defensive coordinator whom he worked with in the past and knows about working under Dick LeBeau with a 3-4 scheme.

It just turned out to be someone few were expecting.

Pittsburgh Steelers defensive backs coach Ray Horton arrived in Arizona Wednesday for an interview and a few hours later was hired to replace the fired Bill Davis.

Horton, 50, served on the Steelers’ staff with Whisenhunt for three seasons, and long worked under LeBeau – when LeBeau was coaching the Bengals, as well as in Pittsburgh – learning the style of defense Whisenhunt wants in Arizona.

An introductory press conference is scheduled for 4 p.m. Arizona time.

Whisenhunt had investigated hiring Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler, but Pittsburgh denied permission for Butler – who is under contract – to interview for the job. Horton is the third defensive coordinator under Whisenhunt, following Clancy Pendergast -- who was let go after the 2008 season -- and Davis.

The Cardinals are expected to review the status of the remaining defensive assistants now that a coordinator has been hired.

Horton has been coaching in the NFL for 17 years, beginning with three seasons in Washington as an assistant defensive backs coach, coaching the defensive backs with the Bengals under LeBeau from 1997-2001, and then spending two seasons in the same role with the Lions before going to the Steelers in 2004.

Horton also played 10 seasons in the NFL, appearing in Super Bowls with the Bengals and Cowboys, and said this past week at the Super Bowl that LeBeau and former Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson were among his main influences.

This past season, the Steelers ranked second in overall defense, 12th in passing defense and first in points allowed. The Steelers totaled 21 interceptions this season. Safety Troy Polamalu was also named the NFL's defensive player of the year.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 3263

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    If he succeeds in taking DL's defense to the Cardinals that will make a grand total of one defense in the NFC who plays physical, tough, run defense.
    ... The only thing Horton will be taking to the Cardinals is his ineptitude with the DBs in Pgh, in Detroit before that, in Cincy before that, and Washington to start the whole parade of failed coaching...

It's a sad week, but this departure is good news...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 49

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    ... The only thing Horton will be taking to the Cardinals is his ineptitude with the DBs in Pgh, in Detroit before that, in Cincy before that, and Washington to start the whole parade of failed coaching...

It's a sad week, but this departure is good news...
    It sure is. I just don't understand why the Cards are promoting Horton to DC, wow!

It's addition by subtraction for the Steelers. It'll be interesting to see who gets the DB coaching job.

I'm also glad Butler didn't leave instead of Horton, dodged a bullet on that one. Who knows if Butler really is the answer at DC when Lebeau retires, but he's a hell of a lot better coach than Horton.

Threads : 82

Well it's pretty obvious he is trying to build a copy of the Steelers out there. He needs someone with intimate knowledge of the Steelers D. That's the best he can do. It's going to be a cheap copy tho. What bothers me is all these teams doing this now and taking players that we would take. They have been doing it for years but it's worse now. It might be to the point where it would be better for another DC to come in and evolve it a bit. Just be one step ahead of these other teams.

Threads : 60

First off I thought they wanted Butler ....what happend with that ? Secondly, how do we know Horton was the problem with our secondary or players development > Maybe he is just coaching the way Lebeau or tomlin instructs him ?

Tomlin seemed to have brought in a very good o-line coach. Maybe he will bring in a good coach that allows our D-backs to improve.

Threads : 122

we didn't grant them permission to speak to butler.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information