Thread: Lemieux questions if he wants to be remain part of NHL.

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Lemieux questions if he wants to be remain part of NHL.

http://bit.ly/gktLkz

Lemieux questions if he wants to be remain part of NHL.
    February 13th, 2011
    Penguins majority co-owner Mario Lemieux released this statement on the team web site today regarding NHL disciplinary action against the New York Islanders -- pay special attention to the last line:

“Hockey is a tough, physical game, and it always should be. But what happened Friday night on Long Island wasn’t hockey. It was a travesty. It was painful to watch the game I love turn into a sideshow like that.

“The NHL had a chance to send a clear and strong message that those kinds of actions are unacceptable and embarrassing to the sport. It failed.

“We, as a league, must do a better job of protecting the integrity of the game and the safety of our players. We must make it clear that those kinds of actions will not be tolerated and will be met with meaningful disciplinary action.

“If the events relating to Friday night reflect the state of the league, I need to re-think whether I want to be a part of it.”

--Rossi

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Lemieux questions if he wants to be remain part of NHL.

With the benefit of hindsight, Mario's got the right to fire a verbal shot across the League's bow. There was a lot of stuff going on that the on-ice officials could have prevented and, when they couldn't, it appears there were only rebukes, not reprimands handed out.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 413

They handled it about as well as the NFL handled the fines this season. Both should be embarrassed.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 3263

I liked Mario's comments.... It's not too often that he speaks-out about anything, so maybe it carries a bit of weight when he does... I dunno...

... But from what I know about him, he doesn't shoot-off at the mouth without thinking... If he says that he needs to reconsider his involvement in the league because of this then the league better listen... It's worth it to all involved if they do...

There will undoubtably be numerous media comments about his statement... Should be interesting to see how it all falls out....

... That game had the most penalty minutes in a game since 1990, and set a team record...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Well for one thing it helps people take the right perspective I think. The Penguins are a high profile team and for people that didn't watch and just see the penalty minutes, fights and punishment, you could easily come away with the idea that we are the broad street bullies not them. I also wonder what the review crew were actually reviewing. If they would have seen the feed I was watching I am sure there would have to be more players getting suspended.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well for one thing it helps people take the right perspective I think. The Penguins are a high profile team and for people that didn't watch and just see the penalty minutes, fights and punishment, you could easily come away with the idea that we are the broad street bullies not them. I also wonder what the review crew were actually reviewing. If they would have seen the feed I was watching I am sure there would have to be more players getting suspended.
    I dunno, man.... Yea, we've had more penalty minutes this season and have drastically changed our approach to games (seemingly), but I really doubt anyone that saw the vid clips/highlights of the game would paint us as the bad guys... But that's just me and my perception is biased...

I thought the crew reviewed the same footage that you and I saw, but I'm not sure of that in any way... Maybe that is part of the reason Mario said what he did.... Again, I dunno....
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    I dunno, man.... Yea, we've had more penalty minutes this season and have drastically changed our approach to games (seemingly), but I really doubt anyone that saw the vid clips/highlights of the game would paint us as the bad guys... But that's just me and my perception is biased...

I thought the crew reviewed the same footage that you and I saw, but I'm not sure of that in any way... Maybe that is part of the reason Mario said what he did.... Again, I dunno....
    Well we are the bad guys in a lot of ways I am just saying that the result of that game wasn't the Pens doing. We may have even started it but it was them that crossed the line. And there should have been more suspensions and fines. Both of these things are only a part of what this message is about but I think it is part.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    Well we are the bad guys in a lot of ways I am just saying that the result of that game wasn't the Pens doing. We may have even started it but it was them that crossed the line. And there should have been more suspensions and fines. Both of these things are only a part of what this message is about but I think it is part.
    Yea, this season we are the "bad guys" more often than not, and that's a stark change from the way the Pens played in years past... So yea, Mario's comments very well might have been "double edged" and meant for multiple recipients....

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Pens/Islanders game is only half the NHL's failures in the past week. A few days earlier the Bruins made a mockery of the "Fight Code" in their game against Montreal. Plenty of Bruins going after Canadiens players who didn't want to fight. It didn't seem to matter... they got punched out anyway!!!

Threads : 197

I wish he would have added that it's still a garage league.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    I wish he would have added that it's still a garage league.

As soon as I heard/read his comments that was the first thing I thought of

In reality it's basically what he meant too.

Good for Mario. This is his job. It's his job to stand up and stick up for his team and the organization he owns when he feels it's not been treated fairly. Dan and Art Rooney should probably take some notes because this is what they should've done at any point this season and failed to do.

I don't think Mario's media words will say much but he'll get to flex his muscle behind the scenes along with and more importantly, David Moorehouse who is gaining a lot more influence in the league on the rules and competition committee
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Islanders' Konopka shoots back at Lemieux - 02-14-11

Monday, February 14, 2011 04:25 PM
    Written by Seth Rorabaugh

[IMGR]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5098/5446426162_6bab4876df.jpg[/IMGR]When Mario Lemieux called things "embarrassing," this is probably what he had in mind.

Islanders forward Zenon Konopka, who had a significant role in Friday's fight-filled game with the Penguins, took a shot at the Penguins owner who ripped the NHL yesterday over how the league handled discipline in Friday's game. Said Konopka:
    "As soon as I get home, I'm going to take the poster off my bedroom door of Mario. I can't believe he (Lemieux) is that far removed from the game that he doesn't realize...in the heat of the moment what happens."

EN Says: There was nothing "heat of the moment" in what the Islanders or Konopka did in that game. After the Feb. 2 game between the two teams, Konopka said, "We're not happy. We're not happy with the outcome of the game. We have to remember this for 12 days from now."

(Note: The re-match Feb. 11 was nine days later.)
    And prior to the game, the Islanders recalled Micheal Haley, a career-minor leaguer with 196 penalty minutes in 65 games this season. He wasn't there for his ability to puck handle or kill penalties or anything actually related in regards to winning the game.

For Konopka, who leads the NHL in penalty minutes this season, to luff off his team's actions as "heat of the moment" is a joke. Especially when he himself hinted something could happen in a re-match.

The Islanders turned Friday's game in Wrestlemania 25. And Konopka's shot back at Lemieux is almost like credible as an interview you would see on WWE's Raw.

http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/empty-netters/25215-islanders-konopka-shoots-back-at-lemieux-02-14-11

The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

He may have just reinforced Marios point. I thought he might take a shot at Cooke or something like that lol nothing.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information