Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day 1 From Bradenton

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Day 1 From Bradenton

Day 1 from Bradenton

Jenifer Langosch/MLB.com

Players are shuffling through the process of getting physicals this morning, which gives me some time to open up the day with a short update. I'll provide a daily wrap after workouts each day, but for now, here are a few early news and notes:

• Of the 41 pitchers and catchers invited to Spring Training, 40 are here. Jose Ascanio got stuck in Venezuela with visa issues and is expected to arrive later in the week.
    • Manager Clint Hurdle will have a meeting with all the pitchers/catchers at noon today, after which the group will head outside for the first official workout at Pirate City. The following days will start earlier, for those of you who are coming out to observe.
    • In addition to undergoing physicals, players are also taking turns with the video board crew during these first two weeks of camp. You know those JumboTron videos you see at PNC Park all season? Yep, those are all filmed here each February.
    • Tyler Yates is progressing well from Tommy John surgery, he said on Monday.
      Yates added that he is going through the same throwing program as any other pitcher who is getting ready for the season. How he bounces back after missing so much time is worth keeping an eye on this spring.
    • Catcher Ryan Doumit talked at length this morning about his future with this club and how he dealt with offseason rumors that he would be traded. Look for a full story on this to be posted on pirates.com later in the day.

Follow me on Twitter: @LangoschMLB
    http://bucsbits.mlblogs.com/
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Default Re: Day 1 From Bradenton

Bradenton just got a bit busier
    Jenifer Langosch/MLB.com

It's reporting day, folks. And I have, indeed, reported to Bradenton, Fla., on time. No visa issues to worry about here.

By the end of today (Sunday), the Pirates' pitchers and catchers are required to be in town. As of last count, 38 of the 41 were. Still missing: Jose Veras, Jose Ascanio and Cesar Valdez. There didn't seem to be a true grasp on whether any of the above might be dealing with visa issues, though we'll know that soon.

In addition, of the 62 total players participating in big league camp, 49 are already here. Position players aren't required to report until the end of the day on Friday. Many, though, come early to get a headstart on their workouts.

A few notes before we get rolling with Day 1 coverage tomorrow:

• Jeff Clement has been removed from the list of non-roster invitees. He is still recovering from surgery and therefore will be reporting to Minor League camp. With Clement off the list, there were 22 non-roster invitations handed out.
    • For the full list of non-roster invitees, click here.
    • I caught a glimpse of the Pirates' new batting practice tops. Boy are they, well, bright yellow. Bumble bee-esque, as Evan Meek pointed out. I'm thinking they might be even be visible in the dark.
    • The first pitchers/catchers workout will be on Monday, though it will start a bit later than the subsequent workouts. There are meetings and physicals scheduled for the morning hours. Expect the whole group to take the field sometime around noon.

[Read more...]

Looking forward to spending another season with you....

Follow me on Twitter: @LangoschMLB
    http://bucsbits.mlblogs.com/archives...bit_busie.html

Doumit “not thinking” about future
    Bucco Blog
    Rob Biertempfel makes the call from Pittsburgh Pirates baseball
    February 14th, 2011

BRADENTON, Fla. — Ryan Doumit has checked into camp for what likely will be his final spring training with the Pirates.

[IMGL]http://blog.triblive.com/bucco-blog/files/2011/02/doumit2.jpg[/IMGL]“Haven’t even thought about that,” Doumit said.

Doumit chose his words carefully during a 5-minute chat early this morning at Pirate City. His frustration about his situation is palpable, but he didn’t want to say anything controversial right out of the chute.

Doumit said he isn’t entire sure of his role this season.

“This is day one for me, too,” Doumit said. “I haven’t talked to them about that. We’ll see how it goes.”

GM Neal Huntington tried unsuccessfully this winter to trade Doumit, even offering to pick up part of the $5.1 million salary. The Pirates plan to use Doumit as a sometime right fielder and backup catcher this year — quite a dropoff for someone once regarded as a potential cornerstone of the club.

“I’m trying not to think about that because I don’t really care,” Doumit said. “No matter where they put me, I want to be the best I can be. I’m going to go out there and just try to play like I’m capable of playing, and let that speak for itself.”

All but one of the pitchers has checked in on time. Jose Ascanio has visa problems in Venezuela, and is expected to arrive tomorrow or Wednesday. Many of the position players also are in camp, even though they don’t have to report until Saturday.

I remember the argument I was having this offseason about Ryan Doumit, where I said to basically dump Doumit for a bag of balls or even just outright release him and others said that we should trade him and get something for him to avoid a matt Capps situation. Siutations being different of course, it looks like the Pirates are doing everything they can to trade Doumit and get at least a warm body. That's more than what I would've done.

I saw a comment over at Biertempfel's blog where some labeled trading Doumit right now as trading someone when their value is low... The reality is that Doumit's value has been low since he was heavily protected in a 2008 lineup. since then his numbers haven't been as good and more importantly, his defense stinks, his game calling blows and he's always injured. The time to trade Doumit was in 2008. His value will never be that high. Now he'll be in a bench role where again, his value won't be great and high no matter how he does and if it's out of this world Neal will be on the phones ASAP.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Aaah, Baseball season is finally here. I am more excited than usual for the grapefruit league play to begin and alot of it has to do with seeing how Hurdle is going to handle things and begin building the 25 man roster. I really believe that with good hitting instruction and emphasized plate discipline, this team can score some runs. They have to learn that there is such a thing as good outs at the plate. Last season there was an over abundance of wasted at bats that killed many an opportunity to plate guys on base. Hurdle has said all the right things in his singulary excitable manner, now it's time to translate it to the field.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 215

Venezuelan visa problems, imagine that.

Threads : 197

Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBONES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Venezuelan visa problems, imagine that.
    The crazy thing is that Ascanio is the only one. None of the Dominicans and none of the other Venezuelans. Gorkys Hernandez and Jose Tabata are already there and Fernando Nieve made it on time.

Last year for the Dodgers former Pirate Ronald Belisario took visa issues to a new level. I think the regular season had already begun by the time he showed up in camp. In 2009 it looked like the Pirates made a mistake with Belisario, but the behavior issues they talked about definitely popped up in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    Aaah, Baseball season is finally here. I am more excited than usual for the grapefruit league play to begin and alot of it has to do with seeing how Hurdle is going to handle things and begin building the 25 man roster. I really believe that with good hitting instruction and emphasized plate discipline, this team can score some runs. They have to learn that there is such a thing as good outs at the plate. Last season there was an over abundance of wasted at bats that killed many an opportunity to plate guys on base. Hurdle has said all the right things in his singularly excitable manner, now it's time to translate it to the field.
    I'm excited because Baseball = spring and summer which = warmer weather + Kipper hates winter, cold and snow.

Im excited for the reasons you are as well and also because there's an improvement area that can be made with what we have. That's intriguing. It's like watching a kid grow. The Pens and Steelers have grown and graduated, now you just root for the continued success. The Pirates are like the last kid you have that is still in a growing process, maturing process, young age... It's fun watching the kids grow up. It's fun watching the maturation all come to gether

According to Rob Biertempfel the only position players who aren't there yet are Brian Friday, Pedro Ciriaco, Ronny Cedeno, Alex Presley, John Bowker, Matt Diaz, and Lyle Overbay. Their official reporting date isn't until Saturday. You can't fault them for not being there since the official reporting date isn't until Saturday, but it's kind of funny that the guys who should be most comfortable in their roles decided to show up a week ahead of schedule. You sort of expect guys like Bowker or Presley or Ciriaco to arrive first looking to prove something, then the other guys to start coming in. I think McCutchen was the last player to arrive last year.

Here's video of Tony Sanchez today via the Bradenton Marauders Youtube page. An interview and some footage of him taking a few swings.

Threads : 22

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I'm excited because Baseball = spring and summer which = warmer weather + Kipper hates winter, cold and snow.

Im excited for the reasons you are as well and also because there's an improvement area that can be made with what we have. That's intriguing. It's like watching a kid grow. The Pens and Steelers have grown and graduated, now you just root for the continued success. The Pirates are like the last kid you have that is still in a growing process, maturing process, young age... It's fun watching the kids grow up. It's fun watching the [HIGH-LIGHT]maturation all come to gether[/HIGH-LIGHT]
    I read that wrong at first -

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    The crazy thing is that Ascanio is the only one. None of the Dominicans and none of the other Venezuelans. Gorkys Hernandez and Jose Tabata are already there and Fernando Nieve made it on time.

Last year for the Dodgers former Pirate Ronald Belisario took visa issues to a new level. I think the regular season had already begun by the time he showed up in camp. In 2009 it looked like the Pirates made a mistake with Belisario, but the behavior issues they talked about definitely popped up in 2010.
    Belisario update: Turns out he's having visa issues again this year, and this time it's a pretty big issue. His agent says he can't get approved to enter the US and will probably miss the entire season. Yikes...

Threads : 35

I never understood the "visa problems." This is their freakin' job and even the lowest of them is very well paid. You do what you have to do to be on time. Showing up on time is part of the job. You simply recognize that there could be "problems" and you build in adequate lead time. Maybe I'm missing something here in that I may not totally understand the process, but there seems to be a lack of focus, lack of discipline, lack of planning, lack of regard for your employer and the situation, etc. If I were management I would hold it against the player in that "Maybe he just doesn't want to be here. Let's look at our options." A variation of the old Branch Rickey philosophy works for this bunch: "We lost 105 games with you. How much worse can it get without you?!"

Venting. There, I feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by carney2 View Post
    I never understood the "visa problems." This is their freakin' job and even the lowest of them is very well paid. You do what you have to do to be on time. Showing up on time is part of the job. You simply recognize that there could be "problems" and you build in adequate lead time. Maybe I'm missing something here in that I may not totally understand the process, but there seems to be a lack of focus, lack of discipline, lack of planning, lack of regard for your employer and the situation, etc. If I were management I would hold it against the player in that "Maybe he just doesn't want to be here. Let's look at our options." A variation of the old Branch Rickey philosophy works for this bunch: "We lost 105 games with you. How much worse can it get without you?!"

Venting. There, I feel better.
    Thing is, this isn't isolated to just the Pirates like you make it out to be. This happens to a lot of teams. I don't know why they have visa problems like you said. it makes no sense. it's your job, you'd think this should be taken care of unless it's the government agencies dragging their feet down there which can happen

Threads : 35

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Thing is, this isn't isolated to just the Pirates like you make it out to be. This happens to a lot of teams. I don't know why they have visa problems like you said. it makes no sense. it's your job, you'd think this should be taken care of unless it's the government agencies dragging their feet down there which can happen
    Not saying it's a Pirates problem. I understand that it occurs elsewhere. It is a common situation however, and should be planned for. If the players cannot be depended on to act responsibly, why isn't the team (every team) intervening? If it's a bureaucratic foot drag as you infer it might be, then it is common and therefore foreseeable. BEGIN THE FREAKIN' PROCESS EARLIER!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information