Thread: Day 2 From Bradenton

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Day 2 From Bradenton

Day 2: Daily Squeeze

Jenifer Langosch/MLB.com

Let me start off today's post-workout recap with a question for you: What's the biggest challenge facing Clint Hurdle as he begins the task as this team's next manager?

That was the question posed to me recently and the subject of a story I wrote for the main site today. You can find my answer to that inquiry here. And, of course, I would love to hear your thoughts as well, if you so desire to share.
    Plenty else to run through at the end of another workout day, so let's get rolling:

• First baseman Lyle Overbay arrived in Bradenton last night and made his first appearance at Pirate City on Tuesday. Overbay helped out during the pitchers' fielding practice, and he took some cuts during batting practice. With Overbay in uniform, the Pirates are now just missing seven of their 62 players.
    • Right-hander Kevin Hart was out on the field before workouts going through his long toss program. Hart had been shut down for 10 days and given a cortisone shot to help reduce inflammation in his surgically-repaired shoulder. All went well on Tuesday as he got to throwing again. The Pirates aren't going to rush Hart's progression, though, so it will be a while before he takes the mound again.
    • Congratulations are in order for Manny Sanguillen, who was recently inducted into the Latino Baseball Hall of Fame. He was part of the second class of inductees and was joined by Edgar Martinez, Luis Tiant, Andres Galarraga, Rico Carty, Dennis Martinez and Fernando Valenzuela. The ceremony was held this past Saturday in the Dominican Republic.
    • I had the opportunity to meet pitching prospect Luis Heredia today, as he spent the morning watching the Major League Spring Training workouts. He asked to leave the Pirate City dorms and watch. Heredia also threw a long toss session in the afternoon. He is scheduled to throw off the mound on Thursday. My first impression: very cordial kid, and very tall! And to think that he is already 6-foot-6 and only 16, with time to continue growing.
    • The following 16 players threw their scheduled bullpen sessions on Tuesday: Charlie Morton, Brian Burres, Fernando Nieve, Chris Resop, Sean Gallagher, Tony Watson, Cesar Valdez, Tyler Yates, Jeff Karstens, Justin Thomas, Brad Lincoln, Chris Leroux, Daniel McCutchen, Ramon Aguero, Daniel Moskos and Bryan Morris.
    • The final number of side session was then pushed to 17 when Donnie Veal took the mound for a short side after the rest of the group had finished. Veal is on a different track than the rest of the pitchers, since he is recovering from Tommy John surgery.
    • Pitching coach Ray Searage (unsolicited) specifically praised three pitchers for looking particularly sharp in their first official bullpen session -- Yates, Evan Meek, and Michael Crotta. Speaking of Meek, Searage said: "That was the best 'pen I've ever seen out of Meek. Good gosh, it was solid."

[READ MORE....]

http://bucsbits.mlblogs.com/archives/2011/02/day_2_daily_squeeze_1.html
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 413

Default Re: Day 2 From Bradenton

I'm sorry but I love those uniforms. (Now if they'd only use the stirrups). Great to hear that about Meek. Can we PLEASE keep him and Hanrahan around for a while.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information